Seize the day!
Live each day as if it's your last!
Savor every minute!
"Yea, yea, yea", as we shuffle around in our robe and slippers, clutching our coffee as if it's our only hope for survival.
We know better. It's just that sometimes we don't do better. It's called being human.
Which is why, at this very minute, you need to drop whatever you're doing and start your very own, very personal Bucket List.
Why? I'm so glad you asked.
Because Life, that's why. It gets in the way. Life comes with stuff. Like schedules and responsibilities and deadlines and kids. Before you know it, everything that you wanted to do has been long forgotten, a lot like the fresh fruit you always made sure to include in the 12,000 school lunches you packed.
No one is coming to save us, we have to save ourselves. In all my 50-mumble-mumble years, I've yet to meet the person who's job it is to make sure I have fun. As a matter of fact, a lot of people I meet seem to make my life less fun. Go figure. A healthy Bucket List is our answer to all those boring meetings, endless conference calls, whiney customers and disappointing friends. It's our moment to TAKE CHARGE!
To make sure your Bucket List items don't end up at the bottom of some school yard trash can like all those grapes and bananas, here's the official 'get off your butt and do it list':
- Your WHY. Reach down deep and way back and get in touch with the joy that rose from you in your youth. What was your WHY back then? What made you happy and excited to greet each day? Find that person and ask them what they want to do. Write it down.
- Build EXCITEMENT into your life. See a dream trip? Write it down. Always wanted to ice climb? Write it down. Become a Reiki Master? Write it down. All the fleeting dreams can now become a reality. Isn't that exciting?
- REWARD yourself. With a healthy Bucket List you have the perfect reward system. Give yourself an incentive for major accomplishments, or even just a yearly trip, chosen from your Bucket List. You have an ongoing 'prize list' at your fingertips.
- The Law of ATTRACTION. Just the simple act of writing it down and reviewing your Bucket List will work miracles in bringing it into your life. The law of attraction shows us that. The more often you review your list and imagine yourself actually participating in the activity, the easier and quicker the it will come to you. (it's science, people)
- Keep 'em GUESSING. Who wants to grow old predictably? Not us! Let's have our kids wondering "What the hell is she up to now?". So much more fun!
While writing this article, I've added two more items to my Bucket List, a trip to Dubai and Calligraphy classes.
How about you? I hope you've at least started yours. Don't stop until you have at least 50 items listed. Keep adding every time you see something that sparks your fancy.
After all, a sparkly fancy looks good on you!
Kimberly Montgomery is the creator of the Choices Notebook and blogger at FiftyJewels.com, where she encourages people to use their powers for good. Hop on over there to grab your FREE copy of the Choices Notebook Mini Kit.