I went on a yoga retreat during the Lenten season. and I reflected on finding solace in both practices. One can strengthen the other. Here are five parallelisms from a Catholic yogi:
- If you liken the studio to the church, the mat is like the pews and you kneel on both of them. You bring your troubled, silent confessions to the forefront.
- There's a certain ritualism to it. Once you know certain steps, you're good for life.
- The concepts of being humble, kind and grateful exist in both practices. They are pillars of integrity.
- Both meditation and prayer are quiet, personal times with a higher existence watching over you.
- A sense of community. You may not know the person next to you but a knowing bond exists between the two of you, because there's an unspoken understanding you're both present for similar reasons.