They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This is so true, especially when it comes to online dating.
Men are visual, which means to get your profile noticed online, you need a great picture.
It's why I created a list of picture taking do's and don'ts just for you.
It's the first step to getting noticed by the good guys online.
- DON'T wear clothing that reveals too much. A little cleavage is acceptable but showing three quarters of your breast covered only by a small piece of material is not okay. When you do this, men think you are looking for a sex partner, not a relationship.
- DON'T post pictures where a man needs a magnifying glass to see you. I don't care how beautiful that mountain is behind you. If it takes up more space than you do, don't use the picture.
- DON'T post pictures with your friends. How many times have you seen pictures men posted with friends, and you were left wondering which one is the guy who wrote the profile? And how often did you wish it were the guy's friend posting the profile because he was hotter? Men do the same thing when you post pictures with other women. Do yourself a favor and only post pictures of you!
- DON'T post pictures with other men, even if he's your son, brother or father. Believe it or not, men think it's someone you've dated in the past or are still involved with. It's a turn off so don't do it.
- DON'T take selfies. No one likes seeing someone's toilet in the background or the camera covering half your face in the mirror.
- DON'T post pictures with your animals and grandchildren. They may be cute but believe it or not, they are seen as competition for your time with men.
- DON'T post pictures that make you look mad, sad or indifferent to life. I know you may be wondering who does this? But believe me when I tell you, lots of women do. And when a man sees a picture like this, he thinks...NEXT and moves on.
- DO know that men are visual creatures. The first thing he will look at is your picture, not what you've written in your profile.
- DO take a picture that shows your best assets. If it's your legs, be sure to show them. If it's your waist, show that. You want to grab a man's attention with what is great about you.
- DO know that you have 10 seconds to get a man's attention. Make your picture count!
- DO post at least 2 great pictures of you: a good head shot and a full body shot. When you only post head shots, men think you are hiding something you don't want them to see. And often that's exactly what you're doing. I know you're probably figuring that once he gets to know you, it won't matter. Believe me, it does matter in the sense that it makes him question you. If you're dishonest about this, what else aren't you telling him? Be honest here because in reality, you want a guy who accepts you for exactly who you are.
- DO hire a pro or ask a friend or one of your kids who is camera savvy to take photos for you. The advantage of a professional picture is they help you stand out from everyone else on the site. Just make sure the photographer does minimal retouching.
- DO wear clothing that makes you look and feel your best. You take a better picture when you are feeling like the amazing woman you are.
- DO post recent pictures. I admit it's nice to look like you're 40 again but there's something wrong when a guy has to call you because he can't figure out which one you are at the Starbucks where you're meeting.
- DO SMILE! Men are naturally drawn to pictures of women who smile. Your smile makes you glow and gives the impression you are fun and positive to be around. This is so attractive to the men you want to meet!
If you're having trouble finding a photographer in your area, I'd recommend checking out Dating Headshots. They know what they're doing when it comes to taking the pictures you need to get noticed online.
I'd love to hear what you think of these do's and don'ts in the comments.
Lisa Copeland is known as the expert on over 50's dating. She's the best-selling author of The Winning Dating Formula For Women Over 50 and her mission is to help as many women around the world as she can discover how to have fun dating and finding their Mr. Right after 50. To get your FREE Report, "5 Little Known Secrets To Find A Quality Man," visit www.findaqualityman.com.