It's picnic and backyard party season, and where there are BBQs and grilled meats, there MUST also be coleslaw (without mayo!).
Something about the vinegar cuts and balances the smoky grease of any good BBQ. For the cabbage, you can use regular, purple, savoy, or napa--or, for fun, a mixture of cabbages!
This is a party-size recipe for sure!
Non-Mayo ColeslawSlaw Ingredients:
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 1 green pepper
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
1. Slice up the cabbage, onion, and pepper with a mandolin slicer so that everything is super fine.
2. Boil the vinegar and sugar together in order to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
3. Add the dressing spices and oil to the vinegar-sugar mixture and stir together.
4. Toss the cabbage with the dressing.
For more from Maria Rodale, visit www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com