My nephew had a Spanish girlfriend once, and she made a salad similar to this one for Christmas. November and December are a perfect time of year for Pomegranate Salad, since the pomegranates are nice and ripe. Lately, I can even find organic ones! This lovely girlfriend made the salad with escarole, but I have a hard time finding organic escarole, so I made it with a mixture of iceberg and homegrown micro greens--the main idea is that you have some fresh lettuce. It's very simple and easy to make, and the vibrant color makes it perfect to serve for a festive occasion, or even for dinner for one.
- 1 head iceberg or other lettuce
- 2 cups micro greens or other lettuce
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 Tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt (or to taste)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Clean the lettuce and put into salad bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients and stir to emulsify.
- Cut the pomegranate into quarters and gently pull out the seeds.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and then top the salad with the pomegranate seeds.
For more from Maria Rodale, go to www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com