The other day I was tired. Not just yawn tried, but so tired my head hurt, my feet hurt and everything in between hurt.
To make matters worse, I had a zillion and one things that needed to get done that day, important things. Including hosting a bi-monthly Q & A Coaching Call for my one of my favorite group of folks, my Inbox Empire community.
You see twice a month we host a LIVE Q&A Coaching Call, and these folks rely on me. They look forward to this call to help them improve their business. This single call can make the difference between having a red or black month.
I knew I could not attend that call feeling like I did. Not to mention try to get all the other important projects completed and completed with pride.
So I had a choice to make.
I could either, take a nap and get a little extra sleep.
Or . . .
I could take a bike ride to bring my energy level up.
When A and B Are Staring You in the Face - Choose C!
Now instead of making a rash decision, I thought about it for a moment. And the following is what I did.
1) I re-read my "to-do list" for that day
2) I highlight the projects and tasks that absolutely required my attention.
3) I turned off all my electronics including my phone
4) I retreated to my bedroom where I shut all the blinds
5) I set my alarm clock for 60 minutes
That's right, I opted for a nap. I bet you are surprised but keep reading for the bigger surprise.
I rose 45 minutes later feeling pretty good.
But understanding that pretty good was not going to cut it on a day like this, I put my biking clothes on and took a 45 minute bike ride.
Upon returning from that ride, I felt great!
That's right I invested 90 minutes in myself, and felt like I could take on the world.
What is a R.O.T.?
That day my R.O.T. skyrocketed.
R.O.T. is a phase I have coined meaning Return on Time.
Let's break it down so you can see how valuable it is and how instrumental it can be in your business and in your everyday life.
Like I said I had many, many important projects to accomplish that day. If I had not invested 90 minutes in myself I know I would have gotten only half of them done and the other half would not have been done up to my standards.So by sleeping for 45 minutes and by exercising for 45 minutes, the rest of my day was awesome. Not only did I feel great, I got the following done:
- I wrote! I wrote an issue of WMO and an issue of The CEO's Edge.
- I outlined a new product.
- I met with my team.
- I had lunch with a mentor.
- I had a one-on-one consulting call with a client.
- I held the Inbox Empire Q&A Group Coaching Call.
- I picked up Delanie from tennis.
- I made dinner (and you know I do not cook a lot).
- I helped Connor with some homework.
- I attended Mikaela's softball game.
- I gave Coco a late night walk.
Had I not invested in myself and just tried to get through the day, chances are very good that not only would I have not gotten all of the above done, I would not have been on top of my game.
And if I were not on top of my game, just look at all the people who would have suffered because of that.
When You Care For Yourself, You Care For a Community
That's right, here is a list of those who would have been affected if I did not invest in myself:
* My Inbox Empire Community - and there were about 60 folks on the call that day!
* My team - who are the backbone of my company!
* My private client - he is one of my very favorite clients and has been with me for a long time!
* My kids - enough said :
* My partner in a new product we are launching. (You will learn more about this in the next few months and boy-oh-boy will you love this new product - not to mention be surprised when you find out who my partner is!)
Now can you see why it was so important for me not to short change myself?
By honoring my needs, I was honoring those I care for most.
Had I not taken the time my body was clearly telling me I needed, not only would I have had a really bad day, I could have hurt a bevy of people I care for not to mention my reputation.
To get even more success tips, sign up for MaryEllen's special report, The Success Indicator Acceleration Report at this link.