You'll love, love, love this rich, hearty, fiber-packed soup! It tastes very similar to the pasta e fagioli at Olive Garden. Each cup of soup has 156 calories, 2 grams fat, 6 grams of fiber and 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus. So flavorful, this recipe makes a ton of soup to stock your freezer with. It's great as a first course or make the serving size 1.5 to 2 cups and it becomes a very filling main-course soup. You'll want to add this satisfying dish to your soup repertoire. It's a keeper for sure!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tip
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups onions, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28oz) can tomatoes, diced
1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
3 (10oz) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (24 oz) jar marinara or pasta sauce, I used Prego's Heart Smart pasta sauce
½ cup water
1 zucchini, chopped
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
6 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
Grated Parmesan cheese to top each bowl with, optional
1. Brown beef in a large nonstick soup pot. Drain in a colander in sink.
2. In the same pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir often.
3. Add drained beef back to pot. Stir in canned tomatoes, beans, beef broth, pasta sauce, zucchini, water, Italian seasonings and pepper.
4. Bring soup up to a boil. Turn heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 50 minutes.
5. Add pasta to soup. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes longer until pasta is ready. If you like a thinner soup, just add another half cup water or so.
6. Ladle soup into a small bowl or cup. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
7. This soup freezes great!
Makes 20 cups (each serving, 1 cup)
Look for the leanest ground beef in your supermarket. I bought mine at Trader Joe's.
Freeze leftover soup in pint size containers. Stores like Smart and Final sell deli-style plastic containers that are perfect to freeze in. They're very reasonably priced.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers Points Plus 4
Skinny Facts: for 1 cup
156 calories, 2g fat, 12g protein, 25g carbs, 6g fiber, 438mg sodium, 6g sugar
For more Skinny Kitchen recipes, please join me at: http://www.skinnykitchen.com
Follow Nancy Fox on Twitter: www.twitter.com/skinnykitchen