They are first cousins, twice removed on the Took side, and second cousins, once removed on the Baggins side.
Firstly, they have a mutual ancestor on the Baggins side - Balbo (not Bilbo) Baggins.
- Balbo is the great-grandfather of Bilbo.
- Balbo is the great-great-grandfather of Peregrine 'Pippin' Took.
Let's break that down:
- Balbo Baggins married Berylla Boffin.
- They have five children - Mungo, Pansy, Ponto, Largo, and Lily.
- Mungo married Laura Grubb, and had five children.
- The oldest child, Bungo Baggins, married Beladonna Took and had one child.
- That child is Bilbo.
[Back to Balbo's children]
- Ponto married Mimosa Bunce and had three children.
- Ponto's oldest child, Rosa Baggins, married Hildigrim Took and had one child.
- Rosa and Hildigrim's only child, Adalgrim had two children.
- Adalgrim's older child, Paladin, married Eglantine Banks and had one child.
- Paladin's only child is Peregrine 'Pippin' Took.
This makes them second cousins, once removed.
And, while we're at it.
- Adalgrim's younger child, Esmeralda, married Saradoc Brandybuck and had one child.
- Esmeralda's only child is Meradioc 'Merry' Brandybuck.
Secondly, they have a mutual ancestor on the Took side.
- Remember Hildigrim Took, who married Rosa Baggins? He's the eighth of twelve siblings ... the ninth is none other than Beladonna Took, she who married Bungo.
- Hildigrim and Beladonna's parents were Gerontius, the Old Took, and Adamanta Chubb.
This makes them first cousins, twice removed.More questions on The Lord of the Rings (books, movies and creative franchise):