Receiving a speeding ticket is a drag. Aside from having to pay the fine and costs associated with legal fees, a ticket will wreak havoc on your annual car insurance premium long after you saw the blue- and red-flashing lights in your rear-view mirror.
Drivers who get caught speeding in Illinois typically will be issued a ticket for $120, but depending on where you live, the "true cost" of that expensive yellow ticket with illegible writing varies, according to the consumer finance website NerdWallet.
More from NerdWallet:
After receiving a speeding ticket, the average Illinois driver will face a $124.80 increase in his annual car insurance rate. Insurance hikes last for five years in Illinois, so drivers can expect to pay $624 more for insurance if they've been caught speeding. The true cost of a speeding ticket in Illinois is 6.2 times the cost of the actual ticket--drivers pay an average of $744 in total for a $120 speeding ticket.
For those who live in Cook County, you can expect to see a larger insurance hike than in most other cities. Take a look at the top 25 towns where it is most expensive to receive a speeding ticket. A plain-text version follows the graphic with annual car insurance premium figures before a ticket and after one.
Here are 10 Illinois cities where getting a speeding ticket will cost you the most:
25. GlenviewTrue cost: $779.25 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,055.34
- After ticket:1,187.19
24. AltonTrue cost: $783.40 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,005.38
- After ticket:1,138.06
23. BellevilleTrue cost: $790.25 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,027.33
- After ticket:1,161.38
22. Tinley ParkTrue cost: $800.00 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,050.97
- After ticket:1,186.97
21. BelvidereTrue cost: $807.20 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:978.50
- After ticket:1,115.94
20. East Saint LouisTrue cost: $814.35 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,247.14
- After ticket:1,386.01
19. Orland ParkTrue cost: $816.75 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,075.09
- After ticket:1,214.44
18. Hoffman EstatesTrue cost: $826.10 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,031.69
- After ticket:1,172.91
17. Granite CityTrue cost: $836.55 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,070.25
- After ticket:1,213.56
16. Oak ForestTrue cost: $844.40 Annual car insurance premium
- Before ticket:1,146.56
- After ticket:1,291.44
Check out the 15 Illinois cities where speeding tickets are the most expensive, plus the cities in which a speeding ticket is the least expensive.
Sign up for our daily email to stay up to date with Illinois politics.
NEXT ARTICLE: How much did Illinois colleges make in 2014?RELATED:
- Illinois' college completion rate is higher than the U.S. average-in almost every category
- Top 10 Illinois colleges whose graduates have the highest earning potential
- How much do Illinois college presidents make?
- Here are the most diverse colleges in Illinois
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool.