During the 2013-14 school year, the average operating expense per student was $12,521, according to Illinois State Board of Education.
This figure takes into consideration a number of different expenses, such as transportation costs, instructional costs and student resources, among other things.
The amount spent per student can vary greatly depending on where in Illinois the district is located and the type of school district. For example, the average cost per high school student was $16,165 while elementary school districts spent $11,846 per student. Spending also tends to be higher in districts with more property tax wealth.
According to the latest available data, here are the top 25 school districts that, on average, spend the most and least per student.
- Weird Illinois: 15 of the strangest landmarks you can find throughout the state
- Thirty-seven of the best towns in Illinois to raise a family
- Newsweek ranks the top 30 high schools in Illinois
- Top 10 public and private Illinois colleges with the highest graduation rates
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool
And don't forget to sign up for our daily email to stay up to date with Illinois politics.