The vacant 5,000 square foot house next door to this kicking victim was on sale, and he had agreed with the realtor to keep an eye on it. Some kids got wind of this vacancy and put out a Facebook invitation to a Halloween rave party there.
The victim-to-be began chatting with the realtor's partner--in front of the rave house. The realtor then approached a kid and was assaulted. Our victim intervened without much thought, got blindsided by one thug, then kicked by several kids to the ground.
Hindsight is 20/20The victim, only after the beating, realized that he should have:
- Fled to his house and called the police.
- Remained outside and called the police (not as safe as above, but a lot better than jumping into a fight)
- The victim could have taken pictures of these kids (with his Nokia 1020) before any of the rumbling began.
- Avoid mobs at all costs.
- If someone is attacked, call the police and take pictures.
- Do not jump in to break up a fight unless you are skilled at self defense. Three scrawny but very angry punks can take down a much bigger well-meaning solitary person.
- If you do get attacked, go ballistic--and target the gang's leader.
- Sprint to safety first chance you get.
- Warn your kids about the dangers of raves.
- Check out the "crime radar" of your neighborhood with this new tool.