About a year ago I wrote this post titled "You Know You're 25 When...." I had spent a Friday night hanging at a friends house in sweatpants drinking wine and had this revelation that my life as I knew it was changing. I wasn't in some random dress pregaming by way of shots with a group of 20 people prepping to make my way to a "bar with dancing." I was getting my wine on in yogas with two lady friends, and I could not have been happier.
Flash forward one year later and I'm 26. You wouldn't think much has changed since then. You would probably think the two ages are one in the same because in a way, they are (for example: lots and lots of wine). But, there are things that change at 26...
Here are 13 signs that you are 26:
1. You have to plan way in advance if you want to hang out with friends. No more Friday afternoon texts "what r u doing 2nite? lets go out." It's more like "What are you doing three Saturdays from now?! Let's plan a night out!" and then "Ahh, that doesn't work for you? What about five Fridays from now?" and then "OMG, this is crazy!!! We are like so busy! What about 3 months from Sunday? Maybe brunch?" and then "AWESOME. See you then! Soooooo excited!"
2. You stop going out just because and start going out only when there is a reason. And when you DO go out, it's usually for dinner and drinks... and you tend to bail, a lot.
3. On the rare chance you find yourself at a "club" or "bar with dancing," you are just soooo over it. You sometimes try to act like you're into it though because YOUTH. But really, you just want to go home, put on sweats, and eat pizza... and occasionally, you and your friends will realize that together.
4. You have actual responsibilities at work now, and you actually care about them.
5. Losing weight has never been harder. Your metabolism went south with the first quarter of your life. Sigh.
6. Save the dates, holiday cards, baby announcements, and wedding/housewarming invites are taking over your fridge.
7. Couples are either getting engaged or breaking up because at 26, you start to figure out (aka admit) what you really want... unless you're an immature guy because most guys who are physically 26 are mentally 21.
8. You are seeing the divide between your single friends and your getting-married/already-married friends. It's real.
9. If you're single, you've thought about dabbling in online dating if you haven't already. You're not getting any younger.
10. You barely buy new clothes anymore. What would you be buying them for anyway? Work? The gym? Because those are the only two places you go. It's oversized sweater city in your closet and that's fine with you. Except when it comes to going out. You used to have a new outfit for every time you went out, which was multiple times a week, but now you have one or two "going out" outfits and they are super casual. Help.
11. You have no idea where to shop for going out clothes. When you DO have an occasion to dress up for, or you are prepping for a trip to let's say Vegas, you have no idea how to dress. You've decided never to step foot in Forever 21 again, so where can you find clothes that are both appropriate for the club and for someone your age? Do they just not make such clothes because the two are not supposed to mesh? I'm confused.
12. Weekends are good for Netflix, wine, and errands. Maybe you'll squeeze in some room to be social, maybe you won't. Grocery shopping has become a high priority though. After all, what will you make in the Crockpot this week?! Gotta browse Pinterest and Skinnytaste to decide!
13. You are finally starting to save money for that future thing. Maybe because you're not spending it all on going out and clothes to go out in, but either way... perhaps one day you could really afford a nice new car or a big house. Keywords: Perhaps and one day. You're not quite there yet.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: