There are so many powerful people in the world who have all had such a profound influence on humanity. Two of them have a magnetic effect on my mind and spirit, and they are Oprah Winfrey and Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone.
For obvious reasons they are both extremely successful and admirable women, but there holds a much deeper and profound reason for my attraction. I first thought that I wanted to be them, to have their wealth, their power and their fame, but quickly realized it's not that I wanted to be them it was that they reminded me of who I already am.
Oprah and Madonna call forth an energy in many of us that has lain stagnate for so long, clouded by suffering, self-judgement and fear. They've become mirrors that reflect our own inherent ability to become as Marianne Williamson so eloquently put, "powerful beyond measure," and a reminder that we were, "born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us," that "It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone," and "as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." They have walked or in many cases ran courageously through their own stories of suffering, self-judgement and fear and discovered they had the power all along and now hold the space for us to uncover the same within ourselves.
Not all of us are destined to be the next Oprah or Madonna; however, here are a 10 traits they exemplify, that when embraced will call forth our own inner light and give us the courage to become who we already are:
1. Be True to Yourself -- in every opportunity, every relationship, every experience do what feels real for you what makes you come alive.
2. Trust your Gut -- take a moment, maybe even a few breaths, go inside and ask yourself is it a "hell yes" or is it a "hell no." Listen and act accordingly.
3. Live Life with Passion -- incorporate a sense of intense enthusiasm and joy in everything you do. If you're heart isn't in it, take yourself out of it.
4. Exemplify Resilience -- be like water, move through life with ease, allow life to mold and strengthen you without becoming attached to or confined by it.
5. Be Willing to be Vulnerable -- put yourself out there, show your humanness.
6. Act Mindfully -- always be mindful of your effect on the individual and the collective.
7. Live with Compassion -- walk the earth with empathy for all living beings. Metaphysically speaking there is no place where one ends and the other begins. An understanding of oneness.
8. Gratitude is the Attitude -- be thankful for and acknowledge the goodness in life. The more grateful you are the more you'll have to be grateful for.
9. Be a Rebel -- step outside the box and don't be afraid to take the road less traveled.
10. Dream It, Believe It, Achieve It -- don't be afraid to dream and dream big, allow yourself to be driven by purpose not by people or things. You can, you will, end of story.
"No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you've come from, you can always change; become a better version of yourself." Madonna
"The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams." Oprah Winfrey