Teeming with historic architecture, monumental landmarks and world-class museums, few cities are as iconic as London and the cultural Mecca has plenty of surprises up its sleeve. Whether you're looking to check off the top sights, hit the shops or discover the British capital through the eyes of the locals, here are 50 unforgettable experiences to have in London.
1. Take a ride on the London Eye, the city's No. 1 tourist attraction.
2. Brave a visit to the eerie London Dungeons, especially scary during Halloween.
3. Take your photo with everyone from Her Majesty the Queen to One Direction at Madame Tussauds London.
4. Max out your credit card at the legendary Harrods department store, or if the designer goods are out of your price range, pick up a Harrods Teddy Bear as a souvenir.
5. Join the marchers at the vibrant Notting Hill Carnival.
6. Watch the grand Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace, held every day at 11.30 a.m....
7. ...then pose for a classic photo with one of the Royal Guards outside the palace.
8. Go ice skating at the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, which takes over the Royal park throughout the holidays.
9. Pick up some tasty local produce at the Borough Market, located close to London Bridge.
10. Don a leather jacket and join the punk rockers in Camden Town, the heart of London's alternative scene.
11. Team up with three friends to walk the zebra crossing to Abbey Road Studios and recreate The Beatles' iconic Abbey Road album cover.
12. Take a sightseeing cruise or a sunset dinner cruise on the Thames River.
13. Spend a sunny summer's afternoon drinking pints in a beer garden.
14. Tuck into a full English breakfast with all the trimmings - eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread - you won't need to eat for the rest of the day!
15. Catch a show in London's West End Theatre district.
16. Learn some Cockney Rhyming slang, then try it out on the locals in London's East End.
17. Haggle for goods at the world-renowned Portobello Market.
18. Indulge in a decadent spread of bite-size sandwiches, clotted cream, jam scones and freshly baked cakes at one of London's most unique spots for Afternoon Tea.
19. View the Crown Jewels, the Royal Armoury and the dreaded dungeons on a tour of the Tower of London.
20. Go horse riding in Hyde Park.
21. Take a dip in the summer lidos at Hampstead Heath.
22. Spend a rainy day (or several) exploring London's many museums.
23. Take a ride on the London Underground, known to locals as the 'Tube.'
24. Check out the Sumatran tigers, Western Lowland gorillas and friendly penguin colonies at London Zoo.
25. Play the ultimate game of Chinese Whispers at the Whispering Gallery at St Paul's Cathedral, known for its one-of-a-kind acoustics.
26. Save your pennies and spend a day visiting London's free attractions.
27. Watch British politics in action with a tour of the Houses of Parliament.
28. Attend a choral concert or midnight mass at the magnificent Westminster Abbey.
29. Take a day trip to Windsor Castle, the oldest and largest inhabited castle in the world.
30. Journey into a world of magic and mystique on a Making Harry Potter Tour at the Warner Bros Studios.
31. Tuck into a hearty Sunday Lunch at one of London's top pubs.
32. Visit the real-life Downton Abbey on a day tour from London.
33. Take a vintage bus tour of London and view the city's top sights from a classic red double decker bus.
34. Join London's coolest residents for a picnic on Primrose Hill.
35. Seek out the capital's last remaining red telephone boxes on Porchester Gardens, Langham Place and Bell Street.
36. Climb the 311 steps to the top of the Monument, erected in remembrance of the Great Fire of London...
37. ...or hop on a high-speed elevator and zoom to the top of London's tallest building, The Shard.
38. Tuck into an eye-wateringly hot curry on Brick Lane...
39. ...or visit one of London's best fish and chip shops.
40. Cruise between London's two Tate Galleries on the Tate-to-Tate boat, which crosses the Thames between the Tate Britain and the Tate Modern.
41. Explore the Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.
42. Walk, cycle or cruise the waterways of Regent's Canal.
43. Watch a tennis match at Wimbledon while sipping Pimms and digging into strawberries and cream.
44. Try to outdrink the locals on a pub crawl around London's historic pubs.
45. Discover London's dark past with a Jack the Ripper walking tour of the city.
46. Sleep over at a museum as part of the annual Night at the Museum events at the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and the Golden Hinde Ship Museum.
47. Enjoy the street performers and mime artists in Covent Garden.
48. Watch the extravagant lightshow and fireworks display over the Thames as Big Ben chimes in the New Year.
49. Practice your pancake flipping skills at the Great Spitalfields Pancake Race on Shrove Tuesday.50. Buy yourself the tackiest souvenir you can find, like a Union Jack emblazoned hat or a flashing London bus key-ring.
All photos courtesy of Viator.