If you're in a job or career that's not really inspiring you, then now is the time to start planning your next move. I've put together 20 simple techniques to get you inspired to take a few steps closer to finding your dream career.
Just pick a few of these techniques and commit to making them happen over the next few weeks and I guarantee you'll soon feel inspired and ready to finally make some changes in your career.
The last thing you want is to stay stuck in the same humdrum job with no idea about what to do next. This list will get you super organized so you can start to make the changes you've been dreaming of!
20 Free Techniques to Find your Dream Career
1. Pick one company you've always wanted to work for and spend 30 minutes researching them online.
2. Sign up for an online course in your dream field and experiment to see if you like it.
3. Research local meet up events relevant to your industry and go along to at least one.
4. Brainstorm the industries you're interested in and sign up for industry newsletters to open your eyes about the key issues within that industry. You can also find key contacts this way and approach them for an informational interview about what they do.
5. Join a linked in group that's related to one of your chosen career interests.
6. Spend 30 minutes brainstorming what your transferrable skills are. What are you naturally good at that you could use in a different industry that you're passionate about?
7. Give yourself a deadline for changing careers. When we have a deadline this creates the motivation we need to take action. Commit to making a change by a certain date and you'll be inspired to get to work!
8. Create a vision board of what you want. Cut out images from magazines that reflect exactly what you're looking for in your dream career or business. Keep this vision board somewhere where you can see it every day.
9. Put your networking hat on. Make an effort to get out to events or social gatherings that you might not normally attend and ask people about what they do. Get some insight into what career options exist that you might not be aware of.
10. Identify which of your current work tasks you really enjoy and consider which industries these tasks might also apply to. Make a list and get brainstorming!
11. Get quiet. Spend 10 minutes meditating to see what comes up when you consider what your passion might be. Tune into your intuition - maybe deep down you already know what you want to do.
12. Get real about investing in your career change. Put together a savings plan to support your transition phase and to cover any training or courses you may need to take.
13. Reach out to someone who's already in your dream industry and ask them about their job. Take them for a coffee and find out as much as you can about what they do every day.
14. Create a spreadsheet and list all of your ideas in the one place. Include companies you're interested in, industries that you like the look of and key, relevant people who might be able to help you.
15. Host a passions brainstorm. Spend 30 minutes identifying what your passions are and what you just LOVE to do.
16. Once you have your list of passions, consider which type of careers or industries might align with them.
17. Find someone else who has changed careers and ask them how they did it.
18. Find someone who is an expert in your dream field or industry. Look for interviews of them on youtube talking about their career and how they got started.
19. Take the pressure off finding your one true passion or dream career. Approach your research as if it were a fun project instead of your life depending on it.
20. Visualise the end goal. Know that it IS possible for you to find your dream career. Plenty of other people have done it and there's no reason why you can't too!
Know someone who wants to change careers? Share this list with them :)
This article first appeared on SimpleLifeStrategies.com. Zoe B is an acclaimed Career Strategist who helps thousands of people all over the world change careers to do work they LOVE. To get started with your own career change, register for Zoe's free online MASTERCLASS: Find a New Career in 30 Days.