Why would a man need a sidepiece anyway?
I'm blessed to have a lot of male Facebook friends and I've decided to milk these friendships for as much information as I can get. And that brings me to today's installment: The Top 10 Reasons Why Men Cheat.
WARNING: These explanations of why men cheat, gleaned from my male Facebook friends, will make you furious, especially if you've been in a relationship with someone who has cheated on you. Please do not read any further until you've put on your big girl panties and swallowed your pride.
Ready? Let's proceed.
1. Someone was pursuing me. "I'll [sleep with] a woman to settle my curiosity. It has nothing to do with what my main girl is not doing, it's just, someone offered, and I was curious and wanted to test the water." --"Doug," 42
2. She's not freaky enough. "I want oral sex. I want anal sex. I want adventurous sex in risky places, and I don't necessarily want that from my girlfriend. In fact, I'd PREFER not to get that from the woman that I introduce my mother to." --"Jerry," 25
3. I was tired of having sex with her. "I want to hear another woman's voice call my name. I want variety." --"Michael," 39
4. I'm not attracted to her anymore. "This is terrible, but my wife gained 30 pounds after she broke her foot, and I started to look elsewhere for sex. The cast and crutches, watching her struggle, it was just ugh. I was there for her, but she didn't arouse me anymore. I'd give her a kiss on her forehead and go out to [sleep with] someone else." --"Thomas," 44
5. Other options are always available. "Why settle for one sex partner when you can have two? Or 10? The ladies don't seem to mind that I'm wearing a ring. And I have my pick of the litter." --"Jack," 34
6. She always accused me of cheating, so I strayed. "I figured, what the hell? She thought I was sleeping with my coworker, our neighbor, random waitresses and I wasn't doing a thing. NOW I am seeing someone and she doesn't have a clue. I can honestly say that she drove me to do it." --"Michael," 39.
7. It doesn't count. "It's not really cheating if she doesn't find out." --"James," 22
8. No foreplay is required. "I don't want to make love all the time. Sometimes I just want a quickie, get it in and go. I can do that with my sidepiece so I do what I've got to do." --"Kyle," 26
9. I'm fulfilling a need. "Being with someone else every now and then has nothing to do with my primary relationship. It's not cheating; it's just fulfilling my needs as I see fit." --"Mario," 31
10. I was conflicted about my sexuality. "I cheated on my girlfriends in college to prove to myself that I was into women, but it was a lie. I'm gay. I've always known it, I was just afraid to act on it. Now I'm in a monogamous relationship with my boyfriend and we've been together for two years. I would never cheat on him." --"Charlie," 28
The more I think about these responses, the more I realize that cheating is rarely about the girlfriend or wife's shortcomings, cheating is mostly about a man's greed.