Huffpost Entertainment

Britney Spears Rushed To Hospital, Put In Mental Hold

Posted: Updated:

Britney spent her first day in a mental hold with her parents, and requested a meal from In-N-Out Burger. Meanwhile, her new therapist has been praised by former colleagues.

Britney Spears was taken from her home by ambulance early Thursday and escorted to a hospital by more than a dozen police officers.

Britney's mother is 'devastated': "She hadn't seen her in a while and to see her deteriorated to this level." Meanwhile TMZ reports chaos when she checked in to UCLA, as she was on Adderall and laxatives.

A Los Angeles police officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the matter, said the 26-year-old pop star was being taken to "get help" but did not give the ambulance's destination. The Los Angeles Times, citing unidentified authorities, said Spears was taken to UCLA Medical Center to be placed on a "mental evaluation hold." Center spokesman Mark Wheeler declined to comment to The Associated Press, citing privacy laws.

Spears' police escort included motorcycles, two cruisers, and two helicopters.

On Jan. 3, police were called to her home when she refused to return her two young sons, Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, to ex-husband Kevin Federline, who has custody.

Unlike that time, TMZ reports Britney was calm and went willingly:

TMZ has learned the plan to get Britney into UCLA Medical Center had been hatched for days -- it was aborted last night, but executed just minutes ago. And we're told the plan was so intricate the FAA had cleared airspace in route to the hospital.

Back at her house, Britney's psychiatrist told her she was going to the hospital. Her response was, "Is something wrong?" She was not resistant. She made hot chocolate and waited before paramedics arrived and placed her on a gurney.

We're told the psychiatrist felt her condition had deteriorated. Britney had not slept since Saturday -- a day and half longer than she stayed up in recent memory.

The reason she's at UCLA is her new treating psychiatrist practices out of that medical center.

Last time, officers had paramedics haul Spears to a hospital for undisclosed reasons. She was released after a day and a half in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Police also went to the home Monday night after someone reported a swarm of paparazzi trespassing in the singer's gated community. When officers arrived, they didn't see anyone trespassing, police said, but citations were issued for several illegally parked cars.

Spears has been in a highly public downward spiral since filing for divorce from Federline in November 2006.

Her bizarre antics include shaving her head bald, attacking a car with an umbrella and bringing along a paparazzo pal on trips to a courthouse in her child custody case.