ENTERTAINMENT
03/28/2008 02:45 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011

Ledger's Toxicology Results: Died From Acute Intoxication, Abuse Of Prescription Medications, Death Accidental

The NYC medical examiner finished Heath Ledger's toxicology report 15 days after he was found dead in his New York apartment. They ruled Ledger's death was caused by "acute intoxication" and abuse of prescription medications.

In a statement Ellen Borakave, spokesperson for Office of Chief Medical Examiner, confirms:

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine. We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."

The Feds says they will probe how Ledger obtained his many prescriptions:

"We are working with the NYPD to identify any illegally prescribed drugs that may have been prescribed to [Ledger]," Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman Erin Mulvey tells PEOPLE, confirming news first reported by TVGuide.com on Wednesday.

TMZ reports :

The NYPD found five different medications in Ledger's apartment after his death, including anti-anxiety medications Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan). The sleeping medication Zopiclone (Lunesta) and the sedative Temazepam (Restoril) -- which is used by people with "debilitating insomnia" -- were also found.

The autopsy two weeks ago was inconclusive.

Ledger's family has released a statement on the findings:

We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

Former fiancee Michelle Williams arrived in Perth with their daughter Matilda earlier today for Ledger's burial this weekend. His family returned home earlier this week.