POLITICS
03/28/2008 05:12 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011

Clinton Donors Threaten To Withhold Funds From DNC

The New York Times reports on the latest behind-the-scenes conflict over the delegate stalemate in Florida and Michigan.

Reflecting how tense the situation has become, influential fund-raisers for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton have stepped up their behind-the-scenes pressure on national party leaders to resolve the matter, with some even threatening to withhold their donations to the Democratic National Committee unless it seats the delegates from the two states or holds new primaries there. [...]

Pushing to seat the Florida delegates, at least one top Clinton fund-raiser, Paul Cejas, a Miami businessman who has given the Democratic National Committee $63,500 since 2003, has demanded Democratic officials return his 2007 contribution of $28,500, which they have agreed to do.

"If you're not going to count my vote, I'm not going to give you my money," said Mr. Cejas, who was the United States ambassador to Belgium from 1998 to 2001.

Christopher Korge, a Florida real estate developer who is another top fund-raiser for Mrs. Clinton, held an event last year in his home that brought in about $140,000 for the national party, which was set aside in a special account for the general election battle in Florida. But he told committee officials this week that if Florida's delegate conundrum was not settled satisfactorily he would be asking for the money back.

"If we do not resolve this issue," Mr. Korge said, "I think it's safe to say there will be a request for a return of $140,000."

Keep reading

Read more news about the Florida and Michigan primary situation.

Read more on New York Times

Subscribe to the Politics email.
How will Trump’s administration impact you?