8 Places To Get Organic Jeans (And Why)
There are few things in life that have the sex appeal, comfort and versatility as that perfect pair of blue jeans. The spectrum of style and functionality (believe it or not, on the west coast they often qualify as evening wear) elevates them to the single most important item in the closet - man, woman or child. But underneath this popularity lies the dark truth behind the production process of conventional denim.
Most would be shocked to learn that it takes 2/3 of a pound of pesticides to produce enough conventional cotton for one pair of jeans! In fact, conventional cotton production accounts for 11% of the world's pesticides and 25% of the world's insecticides. The chemicals are harmful not only to the workers who harvest the cotton (often in developing countries with lax environmental regulations), but chemical runoff also affects surrounding ecosystems and contaminates our drinking, ground and surface water - and according to the EPA, five of the top nine pesticides used in cotton production are known carcinogens.
Thankfully there are now so many options for organic denim (grown without chemical pesticides or fertilizers) that are widely available and come at a variety of price points. Check out my top picks, tested and approved by the ecofabulous team.
EIGHT PLACES TO GET YOUR ORGANIC JEANS
1. If retro is the way you roll (which is now au current): J Brand Green Label The Lovestory in Woodstock
3. For the Mommy To Be: Gap's secret panel is great for that blossoming belly!
4. The Best Brand for Guys: Hands down Edun has the sexiest cut for men.
5. Great for casual Friday at the office: Del Forte's Organic Denim in Willow is the perfect trouser style.
8. Most Affordable: Mission Playground has jeans for as low as $50! And Good Society has a great slim leg style for under $100 (also available in a show-stopping red wash).
WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR OLD JEANS
Feeling a little blue because you're stumped as to what to do with old pairs of conventional cotton jeans? Cheer up! Nowadays, there are many ways to recycle your old blues (and even get some extra cash!):
2. Breathe new life into them! Check out all the amazing ways you can repurpose those old jeans.
3. Recycle them! Trade in old denim for a little extra dough.