JAKARTA, Indonesia — A suspected militant slain during a 16-hour siege with counterterrorism forces last week was not Indonesia's most-wanted militant Noordin Muhammad Top, police said Wednesday.
Tests comparing the body's DNA with members of Noordin's family came back negative, said Eddy Saparwoko, head of the national police victim identification unit.
Noordin, a Malaysian, has been blamed for a series of deadly al-Qaida-funded attacks in Indonesia since 2003 and is the prime suspect in twin suicide hotel bombings in Jakarta on July 17 that killed seven people.
Last month's attacks ended a four-year lull in terrorism in Indonesia. Bombings have killed more than 250 people in Indonesia since 2002, most of them on the resort island of Bali, where a 2002 attack killed 202 people.
"The DNA test didn't match with Noordin's family," Saparwoko told a nationally televised press conference Wednesday.
Local media had reported that Noordin was slain in a gunbattle with security forces.
But Saparwoko said the man who died in the shootout at a farmhouse in central Java on Saturday was a florist, identified only as Ibrohim. He made floral arrangements at the J.W. Marriott Hotel and Ritz-Carlton, where suicide bombers attacked last month during breakfast, killing themselves and wounding more than 50 others.
National police chief Nanan Sukarna identified Ibrohim as "a planner and arranger of the bombings" and said that five other suspects in the blasts remain at large, including Noordin.