iOS app Android app More

Dog Saves Family From Toxic Fumes (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post   First Posted: 11/18/10 01:18 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11 07:10 PM ET

Bandit, a pomeranian poodle, woke up the DeStefani family on Saturday night when toxic black smoke was filling the house, according to this story from MSNBC.

Jennifer DeStefani's husband had left a brush in a pot of boiling water to sterilize and forgot it there. When the water evaporated, the pot let loose a cloud of toxic fumes which failed to set off the new smoke alarm. Jennifer awoke to find Bandit on her chest barking, and was able to get everyone out of the house safely.

It was a lucky night for the family, who was dog sitting Bandit for a friend. The friend was surprised at Bandit's cunning, saying he is usually running into walls, not being a hero.

A firefighter who has been on the job for 11 years said this is the third time he's seen a pet wake a family in danger.

WATCH the full story:

FOLLOW HUFFPOST GREEN