iOS app Android app More

George Hickenlooper's Death Caused By Overdose

11/22/10 09:16 PM ET   AP

George Hickenlooper

DENVER — The death last month of Emmy-winning filmmaker George Hickenlooper was an accidental overdose.

The Colorado medical examiner reported Monday that the 47-year-old cousin of Colorado Gov.-elect John Hickenlooper died after taking ethanol and oxymorphone.

Los Angeles-based George Hickenlooper died Oct. 30 while in Denver for the premiere of his latest film, "Casino Jack," starring Kevin Spacey.

George Hickenlooper won an Emmy Award in 1992 for directing the documentary "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse."

Other films he directed include "Factory Girl," "Mayor of the Sunset Strip" and last year's documentary, "Hick Town," based on footage shot while he followed his cousin around during the 2008 Democratic National Convention.

The Denver Post reports that John Hickenlooper's office did not comment on the finding.

___

Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com

FOLLOW HUFFPOST DENVER

Filed by Ethan Axelrod  |