A whopping 89 percent of recent graduates say are happy they earned a college degree, according to a new report from the American Council on Education.
The poll questioned 800 young alumni on their levels of satisfaction with their educational experience and alma maters. Close to 9 out of 10 respondents said that their undergraduate careers were worth the time and money spent, and 85 percent reported that their education prepared them for their current job.
Interestingly, only 62 percent of national respondents said they believe college generally prepares grads for working life.
According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the poll's results will help in the battle against government officials intending to slash the budget for higher education. University of Wisconsin president Kevin P. Reilly told the Chronicle that "the average elected official would kill to have such a positive rating as we have in higher education."
Responses to some of the survey's other questions - on the purpose of higher education and the responsibility to fund it - indicated a wider range of opinion among new alumni:
- 31 percent of respondents thought the "most important role of colleges and universities" is to "teach to learn and think critically"
- 28 percent of respondents stated that the "most important role of colleges and universities" is to "prepare for employment"
- Only 1 percent of respondents said that the "most important role of colleges and universities" is to conduct socially beneficial research
- 40 percent of respondents believe students and their families are responsible for financing institutions of higher education
- 30 percent of respondents believe that the federal government should finance colleges and universities
- 20 percent of respondents believe that the burden of funding postsecondary institutions should fall on state government
Are you surprised by this overwhelmingly positive response, or by the figures mentioned above? Let us know in the comments section.
More:Chronicle Of Higher Education Young Alumni Satisfaction Poll Young Alumni Happiness Young Alumni Happy With College Young Alumni Satisfaction
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more