'All My Children', 'One Life To Live' Canceled By ABC
ABC has canceled two of its longest-running programs, daytime soap operas "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."
The network announced Thursday that the two soap operas would end, with "All My Children" going off the air in September and "One Life to Live" going off the air in January.
In their place, a Mario Batali-hosted food show called "The Chew" will premiere in September, and a health/lifestyle transformation show tentatively called "The Revolution" will premiere in January.
"General Hospital" will remain on the network.
"All My Children" has been the subject of cancellation rumors of late, with Deadline.com's Nellie Andreeva reporting last month that the show might be replaced by a talk show.
"While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is," Brian Frons, ABC's daytime department president , said in an announcement. "We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways."
In an exclusive interview with The Huffington Post's Lucas Kavner, Frons noted that he certainly expects some backlash. "I haven't had a chance for anybody to physically assault me yet," Frons said. "But if you're a passionate viewer of these shows, you can assume people are going to be really angry at me."
Frons added: "Like a lot of forms on TV, when there's a hit, a lot of people jump on a bandwagon. But then you end up in season 25 of the Real World," he said. "Maybe we’re just at that point where only the best survive."
The first of the new shows to premiere, "The Chew," will be hosted by Batali, "What Not To Wear" host Clinton Kelly, "Top Chef" alumna Carla Hall, restaurateur Michael Symon and "Dorm Room Diet" author Daphne Oz.