BART Website Still Down After 'Anonymous' Hack
SAN FRANCISCO -- The website for the union that represents Bay Area Rapid Transit police remained disabled Thursday after hackers launched another online attack against the transit agency.
The incident occurred Wednesday as BART remained in the middle of a debate about free speech after it turned off cell phone service last week in its stations to thwart a potential protest.
In the latest attack, hackers gained access to the website operated by The Bay Area Rapid Transit Police Officers' Association then posted personal information on more than 100 officers. The officers' home and email addresses were leaked along with passwords.
Union president Jesse Sekhon did not return a phone call from The Associated Press seeking comment. He told KGO-TV, "I can't believe that this type of criminal act happened."
The hackers group Anonymous announced the most recent breach on Twitter and published the address of the website where the information could be found.
However, Anonymous did not claim responsibility for the hack as it did when it broke into BART's marketing website last week and released the personal information of more than 2,000 customers.
The agency cut cell service after demonstration organizers said they would issue last-minute instructions in text messages and on social networks about where to gather and disrupt the evening commute.
The demonstration was planned over the BART police shooting and killing of Charles Blair Hill, 45. The police allege the transient lunged at them with a knife.
The Federal Communications Commission is looking into BART's action while the FBI is investigating the hack of mybart.org last week.