Yes, Americans are obsessed! We drink as much coffee as we can get.
For many of us, our mornings aren't complete without a cup or two to get us fueled. Some people, after waking up, reach for a cup before doing anything else. Simply, Americans are obsessed with coffee. And, of course, there's always the afternoon pick-me-up.
But why are we obsessed: is it the flavor, the caffeine kick? Let us know why you love coffee in the comments below.
Here are some interesting facts that show just how much Americans are obsessed:
• 31% of coffee drinkers make coffee the most important part of a morning, brewing a cup first before any other morning behavior.
• 65% of coffee consumption takes place during breakfast hours.
• 58% of coffee drinkers brew their coffee the same way every morning.
• 72% of coffee drinkers take their coffee with dairy or non-dairy creamer, which means 28% drink their coffee black.
• 30% of coffee drinkers sweeten their coffee with sugar or some other form of sweetener.
• 55% of coffee drinkers would rather gain 10 pounds than give up coffee for life.
• 52% of coffee drinkers would rather go without a shower in the morning than give up coffee.
• 49% of coffee drinkers would rather give up their cell phone for a month than go without coffee.
• Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day, equivalent to 146 billion cups of coffee per year, making the United States the leading consumer of coffee in the world.
• Coffee represents 75% of all the caffeine consumed in the United States.
• The average coffee cup size is 9 ounces.
• The average price for a cup of brewed coffee is $1.38.
• Seattle has 10 times more coffee stores per 100,000 residents than the United States has overall.
• The United States imports more than $4 billion dollars' worth of coffee each year.
Learn how to brew the perfect cup of coffee from Alton Brown.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more