The steps of Los Angeles City Hall were part stand-up stage, part soap box on Wednesday afternoon when comedian Jeffrey Ross paid a visit to the Occupy LA protesters.
As he promised, Ross spent about fifteen minutes roasting Wall Street and big banks in solidarity with the Occupy movement, lampooning himself and the protesters in the process.
Check out some of our favorite lines (which means we either cringed or burst out laughing) and watch the video to see his whole routine. Caution: video contains some coarse language:
- "The last time I made a huge deposit at a bank, a lesbian couple used it to get pregnant. If anybody sees my daughter, say hello."
- "Rich white America hasn't been this scared since Abe Lincoln freed the slaves."
- "As a Jew, it's particularly tough for me not to side with the banks."
- "I am one of the lucky ones. I have good credit. The only bad credit I have is from the 1996 movie 'Celtic Pride.' "
- "We might all be here for different reasons, but we have one thing in common. We're angry, right? We're angry because the banks are getting bailed out. We're angry because the elections are being bought out. And we're angry because Michelle Bachman's husband won't come out."
- "Any expression of free speech I love. Because I'm a comedian, I talk sh*t for a living. So you guys out here for weeks, being honest with yourselves -- it doesn't matter why you're mad. It really doesn't. Desperation isn't always articulate.
- "Right now we're changing the world. And when that's done we'll change our socks! Are you with me, comrades?"
- "The American dream is still alive. Just head a little further to Canada to find it."
After his routine, Ross gave up the microphone to occupy protesters in the crowd, which started off as inspirational and then petered out incoherently with someone's random rant.
The last time Ross was on roast duty was Comedy Central's Charlie Sheen roast, which he characterized as a "comedy intervention" that would probably be therapeutic for the troubled actor.
More:Jeffrey Ross Comedian Jeffrey Roast Occupy Wall Street Occupy Los Angeles Jeffrey Ross Roast Jeffrey Ross Occupy La
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more