iOS app Android app More

Libya: NATO Delays End To Bombing Campaign

Libya Bombing

SLOBODAN LEKIC   10/26/11 04:22 PM ET   AP

BRUSSELS — NATO unexpectedly postponed a definite decision to end its bombing campaign in Libya as consultations continued Wednesday with the U.N. and the country's interim government over how and when to wind down the operation.

Last week, the alliance announced preliminary plans to phase out its mission on Oct. 31. NATO's governing body – the North Atlantic Council, or NAC – was expected to formalize that decision Wednesday.

Air patrols have continued in the meantime because some alliance members were concerned that a quick end to NATO's seven-month operation could lead to a resurgence in violence.

On Wednesday, spokeswoman Carmen Romero said NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen was consulting with the United Nations and Libya's National Transitional Council.

"The NAC will meet with partners on Friday to discuss our Libya mission and take a formal decision," she said, adding that there was an "ongoing process" in the U.N. Security Council.

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Tuesday that some of Libya's leaders had called for NATO to continue its mission "during this interim as they try to establish some new governance."

And at the United Nations, Libya's deputy U.N. ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi asked the Security Council on Wednesday to hold up on lifting the no-fly zone and ending its authorization to protect civilians.

However, a NATO official who could not be identified under standing rules, said the alliance had not received any formal request from the Libya's transitional government to prolong its air and naval patrols past the end of the month.

NATO's 26,000 sorties, including 9,600 strike missions, destroyed about 5,900 military targets since they started on March 31. These included Libya's air defenses and more than 1,000 tanks, vehicles and guns, as well as Moammar Gadhafi's command and control networks.

The daily airstrikes enabled the rebels' ragtag forces to advance and take Tripoli two months ago. On Sunday, Libya's interim rulers declared the country liberated, launching the oil-rich nation on what is meant to be a two-year transition to democracy.

In Qatar, Libya's interim leader Mustafa Abdul-Jalil attended an international planning conference Wednesday with representatives of Gulf states and Western powers that participated in the Libyan operation.

The meeting is expected to focus on how the allies could help the new authorities bring stability to the nation.

Qatar, a leading Arab backer of the uprising to topple Gadhafi's regime, contributed warplanes to the NATO-led air campaign and helped arrange a critical oil sale to fund the former rebels.

The United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Sweden also joined in the NATO war effort.

___

Follow Slobodan Lekic on Twitter at http://twitter.com/slekich

Take a look at a timeline of the war in Libya:
February 16, 2011
1  of  23
PLAY
FULLSCREEN
ZOOM
SHARE THIS SLIDE 
A Libyan prisoner, left, is hugged by his relatives after he was released with a group of 110 prisoners from Abu Salim, Libya's most notorious prison, in Tripoli, Libya, Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011.

Inspired by the unrest in Egypt, residents of Libya's second largest city Benghazi started protesting against the regime of long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi in February 2011. In an attempt to calm the protests, Gaddafi's government released 110 prisoners and offered to double government employees' wages. Yet protests spread to other cities and intense fighting erupted between Gaddafi loyalists and rebel fighters.
FOLLOW HUFFPOST WORLD

Filed by Clare Richardson  |