Apple Pie Muffins
New Media Publishing
Provided by: Kate Slate
total prep 169 calories/serving
Whole wheat flour is not always the solution if you're trying to make baked goods better for you. Another option is to add grains and/or nuts to white flour. In these muffins some of the flour is replaced by finely ground almonds and oats. Once the muffins have cooled, arrange them on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer until frozen solid. Then store in a zip-seal freezer bag. If you're serving a crowd, rewarm them in a very low oven. If you're just grabbing one for breakfast or a snack, reheat gently in a toaster oven.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tart, crisp apple
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup extra-light olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the lemon juice in a small cup. Add the milk and set aside to curdle.
- In a mini food processor, process the almonds and oats to a fine meal. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt.
- Peel, quarter, and core the apple. Cut one of the quarters lengthwise into 4 wedges. Cut 2 of the wedges into 12 chunks of apple and toss in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Set aside. Finely dice all the remaining apple pieces.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, soured milk, brown sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the liquid ingredients. Stir until the batter is just combined. Gently fold in the apples.
- Spoon the batter (about 1/4 cup) into the muffin cups. Place one of the reserved apple pieces on the top of each muffin and sprinkle the apple with a scant 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.