Bacon, Chive & Cheddar Biscuits with Whipped Maple Butter
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- FOR THE BISCUITS:
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons of Grade A maple syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, chilled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- FOR WHIPPED MAPLE BUTTER:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons grade A maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Place bacon slices flat on a roasting tray and cook in the oven for 7-8 minutes. When brown and crispy, remove from oven and use a pastry brush to glaze with maple syrup. When cool, finely chop up into small pieces and set aside.
- In a food processor combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Pulse until well combined then add cold butter cubes. Pulse until the butter is well incorporated. Add cheddar cheese, chives and bacon then pulse again until evenly mixed. Add buttermilk to moisten dough and fold together.
- Drop 1/2 cup sized balls of dough on a lined sheet tray spacing them about 1-1/2 inches apart from one another. Bake for 17 minutes until golden brown.
- Combine softened butter, salt and maple syrup in a large bowl and whisk together. Scrape into a ramekin and cool in refrigerator. Serve with warm biscuits.