Baked Mushroom and Mozzarella Burgers
Provided by: TASTE
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 4 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
- A few spigs of fresh oregano
- Ciabatta, sliced, for serving
- Finely grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the mushrooms or quickly rinse and dry well. Trim the stems. Brush with olive oil. Season and smear with garlic. Sandwich with sliced mozzarella and oregano.
- Place on a square of parchment paper on a baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until just cooked and still meaty. At the same time, bake the sliced ciabatta, until crisp and golden.
- Serve the mozzarella mushrooms on the toasted bread. Spoon over the pan juices, sprinkle with Parmesan and add a twist or two of black pepper. Serve immediately while the mozzarella is hot and oozing -- it will toughen on cooling.