Blue Cheese Walnut Toasts
Provided by: Alexis Touchet
Tangy blue cheese and walnuts give these little nibbles a sophisticated flair.
- Preheat oven to 375F with rack in middle.
- Mash together butter, cheese, and pepper in a bowl. Cut enough bread to make 24 (1/4-inch thick) rounds, reserving remaining for another use.
- Toast walnuts on a large baking sheet until fragrant, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Toast bread in 1 layer on cleaned baking sheet in oven, turning once, until slightly dried, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer bread to a rack to cool, about 1 minute.
- Preheat broiler with rack about 6 inches from heat.
- Spread cheese mixture on bread, then sprinkle with walnuts and broil on baking sheet until nuts are golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm.
- Make ahead: Cheese mixture can be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. Let soften about 1 hour at room temperature before using. Walnuts can be chopped 3 days ahead and kept at cool room temperature. Bread rounds can be dried in oven 3 days ahead and kept in a resealable plastic bag.