Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
Provided by: Curtis Stone
- Blueberry Compote
- 18 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 zest and juice of lemon
- 1/4 bunch fresh mint leaves only roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- creme fraiche
- To Make the Berry Compote:
- Place the blueberries, sugar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes or until the sugar melts and berries soften just slightly.
- Don't let the berries cook too long or they will become mushy and lose their beautiful shape.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the chopped mint.
- To Make the Pancakes:
- Whisk the ricotta and egg yolks together in a large bowl to combine, then whisk in the buttermilk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the ricotta mixture. Stir with a whisk just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Using a large silicone spatula, gently fold the egg whites through the batter in 2 batches.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- To Cook the Pancakes:
- Melt some butter on a hot griddle pan over medium-low heat. Working in batches, ladle the batter onto the griddle.
- Cook the pancakes about 3 minutes per side, or until the pancakes puff, become golden brown and are just cooked through.
- To Serve the Pancakes:
- Transfer the pancakes to plates. Spoon the warm blueberry compote over the pancakes.
- Top with a dollop of creme fraiche and enjoy.