Brown-Rice Veggie Burgers
Provided by: Food&Wine
- 1 packed cup cooked brown rice, 8 1/2 ounces warmed
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- Kosher salt
- 1 large poblano chile, about 5 ounces seeded and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup(s) salted roasted pumpkin seeds, pepitas
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Warmed pocket pitas, lettuce tomato slices sour cream and salsa for serving
- 1. In a food processor, pulse three-fourths of the rice with the cheese, chipotle and 1 teaspoon of salt until slightly pasty. Add the poblano, scallions, peas and pumpkin seeds and pulse until the vegetables are coarsely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and knead in the remaining rice. Using moistened hands, form the mixture into four 4-inch patties, about 3/4 inch thick, pressing to compact.
- 2. Preheat a grill pan or nonstick skillet. Brush the burgers with oil and grill over moderate heat until golden and crusty, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip them and grill until heated through and golden, about 5 minutes longer. Stuff the burgers into the pitas with lettuce, tomato slices, sour cream and salsa.