Carrot Cake Latkes
Provided by: Sandy Gluck
A latke reminiscent of lightly spiced carrot cake? Count us in. These sweet latkes these make a nice addition to the dessert table or as part of a brunch spread. While the topping here is made of sweetened cream cheese, you could easily use some sour cream or yogurt for a less sweet topping.
- FOR LATKES:
- 8 ounces carrots, peeled and shredded on large holes of a box grater
- 4 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded on large holes of a box grater (3/ 4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- FOR CREAM CHEESE TOPPING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- FOR THE LATKES:
Preheat the oven to 250F. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together carrots, sweet potato, sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt. Add almonds and egg and mix well to combine.
- In a large, heavy skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Using a tablespoon measure, measure out 3 tablespoon mounds per latke, making 3 to 4 mounds in the pan and flattening with a metal spatula to a 1/2- inch thickness. Cook until crisp and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side, lowering heat if over browning.
- Transfer latkes to rack set on baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan for the remaining batches.
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE TOPPING:
In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, orange zest, orange juice, and sugar until smooth. Top each latke with cream cheese topping and serve.