Provided by: Lauren Braun Costello
Who wouldn't want chocolate for dinner! Use bittersweet baker's chocolate for a savory application to transform chicken into a not-too-spicy traditional Mexican dish. Authentic mole can take hours to prepare. This recipe comes together in a fraction of the time with fewer ingredients without losing that depth of flavor that makes mole so delectable.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 corn tortilla, chopped into large pieces
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, dry and wet measuring cups, measuring spoons, medium saucepan, wooden spoon, large saute pan, sheet pan, tongs, blender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the almonds and pumpkin seeds. Let the mixture cook for about 3 minutes, or until golden. Add the chili, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, garlic, and corn tortilla. Cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Preheat the oven to 350F. Season the chickens with salt and pepper on all sides. Saute the chicken, beginning with the skin side down, until brown. When the chicken is well browned, remove it from the pan and place it on a sheet pan in a 350F oven to finish the cooking, for approximately 20 minutes. When finished, place chicken on a plate and cover loosely with foil to stay warm.
- Remove from the sauce from the heat and transfer to a blender or food processor and puree, in batches if necessary.
- Pour the mixture back into its pan and stir in chopped chocolate until melted and mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and serve.