Chickpeas with Red Onion, Feta, Dill & Lemon
Provided by: Gail Simmons
- 1 1/2 cloves dried chickpeas, (or 1 x 15.5 oz can of chickpeas)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup grape cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and gently bashed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse dried chickpeas and place them in large bowl of water to soak overnight. Drain and place them in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water by 2 inches; add bay leaf and cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer beans until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and remove the bay leaf and garlic. Allow to cool. (If using canned chickpeas, simply place in a colander and rinse under cold running water).
- Make vinaigrette: In a large bowl whisk lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and mustard. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and whisk to emulsify. Season with sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside to macerate while you prepare vegetables then discard garlic.
- To the bowl, add red onion, crumbled feta, and sliced tomatoes. Add chickpeas and toss to coat everything evenly. Season with more cracked black pepper if desired.