Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Avocado Cream
Provided by: Campbell's Kitchen
total prep 253 calories/serving
Black bean soup takes a more worldly approach with the addition of chipotle pepper in adobe sauce. Avocado, soy sauce, cilantro and lemon juice is a soothing, flavorful finish.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large carrot , diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion , diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 can chipotle chile in adobe sauce , minced *
- 4 Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Cetified Organic)
- 3 (about 15 ounces each) black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 small ripe avocado , pitted, peeled and cut into cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan. Add the carrots and onion and cook until tender-crisp. Add the pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the broth and beans into the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Mash the avocado with a fork in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in the sour cream, cilantro and lemon juice and set it aside.
- Spoon 1/3 of the soup mixture into an electric blender or food processor container. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Repeat the blending process twice more with the remaining broth mixture. Return all of the pureed mixture to the saucepot. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste. Divide the soup among 8 serving bowls. Top each serving of soup with some of the avocado cream.
- *For a less spicy soup, use half of a chipotle pepper.
- Campbell's Kitchen Tip: Chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce are sold in cans and may be found in the Mexican or ethnic food section of grocery stores.