Coffin Canapes with Red Pepper, Goat Cheese, and Black-Olive Spread
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 32 calories/serving
A little creativity transforms pedestrian sandwiches into creepy mini coffins decorated with red pepper crosses. Vary the fillings as you like-a combination of salmon and scallion cream cheese is a delicious alternative.
- 8 thin-sliced dense German-style rye or pumpernickle bread
- 3 ounces fresh milk goat cheese
- 1/4 cup black olive or tapenade spread
- 1 15-ounce jar roasted red peppers
- Special Equipment: a (2- by 1.5-inch) coffin cookie cutter. Mini coffin cookie cutters are available from: kitchengifts.com for .95. To make shape without cookie cutters, cut sandwich is half crosswise and cut each half into 3 pieces with cut at a slight angle. Cut corners from top of each piece to create a coffin shape.
- Spread half of bread slices with goat cheese and half with black olive or tapenade spread.
- Drain roasted red peppers and pat dry between paper towels. Arrange peppers on top of goat cheese, cutting them to make a uniform layer. Invert bread spread with olive over red peppers to make sandwiches.
- Cut out 6 coffins from each sandwich with coffin cutter and arrange on a serving tray. Cut out enough thin 2-inch strips and 1.5-inch strips from remaining red peppers to form a cross on each coffin and lay strips on coffins.