Crispy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Provided by: Tyler Florence
- 12 medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs (or any non-seasoned breadcrumbs)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce cups -- ribs removed
- 1 hothouse cucumber peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick sticks
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 2 large ripe mangos -- peeled
- 1 serrano chili -- chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lime (juiced)
- kosher salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Begin by preparing the shrimp. Set up a breading station with the flour, egg wash and panko breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper. Wash the shrimp in cold water and lay them out on paper towels to ensure they are dried thoroughly. Lightly dust each in flour, followed by egg and then seasoned panko. Lay out on a tray in a single layer and put in the refrigerator to set while you prepare the other components.
- Heat up some vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer for frying the shrimp.
- Prepare the wrap components and set out on a plate in separate stacks. Remove each leaf of Bibb lettuce and make a stack of cups. Slice the hothouse cucumber into long sticks -- take the cucumber and cut it into 3-inch lengths and then cut each of those into 6 wedges. Wash and drain the bean sprouts. Wash and pick the mint leaves.
- Make the mango relish by peeling the mango. Remove the stem of the serrano and finely dice -- seeds and all. Pick some fresh cilantro leaves and combine all the ingredients in a bowl with lime juice, sugar and some salt. Mix until the ingredients are blended and it is the consistency of salsa. Set aside while you fry the shrimp to allow the flavors to come together.
- Deep-fry the breaded shrimp until crispy and golden then drain on paper towels. To serve, lay all components out on a large platter buffet style so each person can assemble their own wraps.
- To assemble a wrap take a lettuce cup, lay a cucumber stick, some bean sprouts and stack 2 or 3 shrimp on top. Top with a spoonful of mango relish, some fresh mint leaves then fold over and eat. Repeat this step for multiple wraps.