Provided by: Shane Kelly
total prep 496 calories/serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing pans
- 2 pounds eggplant, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 cups whole milk or part-skim ricotta
- 4 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- 14 large or 28 small fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- Slice the eggplant into long strips, chopping off the stem and cutting off the fleshy sides as they will be too thick to roll. Preheat broiler and lightly oil 2 large sheet pans. Brush slices of eggplant with olive oil on both sides, then arrange in one layer on the bottom of each pan. Broil eggplant in batches, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Add ricotta to a bowl for mixing. Beat one large egg and add to the ricotta. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan, garlic, and salt and pepper. Whisk ingredients until well-mixed.
- Arrange a basil leaf on each slice of eggplant and top with 2 tablespoons of ricotta filling, spreading it evenly down the eggplant. Starting at a short end, roll up eggplant and arrange seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant, basil, and ricotta filling and arrange in one layer in dish. Spoon 1/2 cup more sauce over top of eggplant and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered in middle of oven, until sauce is bubbling and heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with remaining 1/2 cup sauce on side.