Fig and Walnut Loaf
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Maggie Ruggiero
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Lightly butter and flour a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Toast nuts in oven until a shade darker, about 10 minutes.
- Pour boiling water over figs and let stand 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve reserving figs and liquid separately.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of fig liquid, egg, oil, and milk. Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until just combined, then stir in figs and walnuts.
- Spread dough evenly in loaf pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool bread in pan 15 minutes then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Bread, wrapped well, at room temperature 1 week.