Gnocchi with Sage-Butter Sauce
Stephen Davis Phillips
Provided by: Marco Canora
- Heat the oven to 350. Prick the potatoes with a fork or knife and then bake them until they are soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
- While they're still hot, cut all of the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop the potatoes out of the skins and into a fine-holed ricer. Pass them through the ricer onto a large clean work surface -- use your counter top, kitchen table or a large cutting board. Using the tip of a large metal spoon, spread the potatoes in a layer about 1/2 inch thick.
- Blanket the potatoes with a thin layer of flour, about 1/4 cup. Using a dough scraper, incorporate the flour into the potatoes. Repeat incorporating another 1/4 cup or so of flour into the potatoes. Form the dough into a ball. Sprinkle your work surface generously with flour and place the dough on top. Flatten the dough with your hands and sprinkle with flour. Incorporate this final addition of flour by folding then pressing then folding the dough again. Repeat the process until there is no longer any flour visible (do not knead the dough or you will activate the gluten and the gnocchi will be tough).
- Form the dough into a compact log. Dust the outside with flour then allow the dough to rest for about 5 minutes. Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Start rolling the dough into cylinders about ½ inch thick. Using a floured knife or pastry cutter, cut the dough into gnocchi about 1 inch long.
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Working in two or three batches, drop the gnocchi into the water and cook, stirring occasionally until they float, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Combine the sage and about an ounce of water in a warm skillet over medium-low heat. When the water is almost but not quite evaporated, reduce the heat to low and begin swirling in the butter a tablespoon at a time. Season the sauce with salt. Add the cooked gnocchi to the sauce, add Parmigiano and pepper to taste and swirl to coat the gnocchi with sauce. Serve topped with additional Parmigiano and fresh sea salt if desired.