Grapefruit Salad with Citrus Dressing
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 158 calories/serving
- 12 ounces each) Boston lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces (16 cups)
- 1 medium bulb fennel, root end trimmed, stalks removed, feathery leaves reserved for garnish, bulb very thinly sliced crosswise (2 cups)
- 3 red (Ruby) grapefruit, peel and bitter white pith cut off, sections removed, juice squeezed from membranes and reserved (1/3 cup)
- CITRUS DRESSING
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium scallion, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Toss lettuce and fennel in a large serving bowl to mix. Arrange grapefruit sections in center. Sprinkle with reserved fennel leaves.
- Process reserved 1⁄3 cup grapefruit juice and the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until well blended and scallion is very finely chopped.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss to mix and coat.
- Planning Tip: The lettuce and grapefruit can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, bagged separately and refrigerated. Prepare fennel 1 day ahead, but don’t slice until 30 minutes before serving. The dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate in a jar and shake before using.
- Cook’s Tip: Fennel has a mild, slightly sweet licorice flavor. Thinly sliced celery can be substituted.