Grilled Asparagus with Pepper Zabaglione
Provided by: Food&Wine
Mario Batali chars his asparagus on the grill, then serves it with a superrich zabaglione sauce spiked with black pepper. Chef Coverage from F&W Editors
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon(s) vin santo or other lightly sweet dessert wine
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 pound(s) large asparagus
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon(s) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Light a grill or heat a grill pan. In a heatproof medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the egg and vin santo. Set the bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water and vigorously whisk the eggs over moderate heat until the sauce holds firm peaks, about 5 minutes. Remove the bowl of sauce from the heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix the butter with the heavy cream and pepper. Whisk the cream mixture into the sauce, 1 tablespoon at a time, until incorporated. Season the zabaglione with salt and keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil and season with salt. Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to plates.
- 4. Set the bowl of sauce over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk over low heat until thick and just heated through, about 1 minute. Spoon the sauce over the asparagus, sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.