Hearty Shrimp & Corn Chowder
Provided by: Woman's Day
total prep 436 calories/serving
- 14 slices bacon, stacked and diced
- medium onion and red pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 lb red-skin potatoes, cut in 1/2-in. chunks (3 cups)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (141/2 oz) chicken broth
- 1 can (141/2 oz) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 tsp dried) thyme leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut bite-size
- Heat a 3- to 4-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well on paper towels and reserve.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp fat. Add onion and red pepper and cook, stirring as needed, 5 minutes or until soft. Add flour; stir until blended with fat. Stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp.
- Bring to a boil, stirring bottom of saucepan and taking care to get into corners. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the shrimp and simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked through. Ladle into soup plates, sprinkle with bacon and serve immediately.