New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 479 calories/serving
Fried eggs on tortillas with tomato sauce.
- RANCHERO SAUCE:
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (14- to 15-ounces)
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, coarsely chopped, including seeds
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chopped white onion
- EGGS AND TORTILLAS:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs
- 8 6- to 7-inch corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- To make sauce, combine tomatoes, including juice, chile, garlic, salt and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add pureed tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the sauce until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Gently break 4 eggs into skillet and cook, covered, 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Fry tortillas (see below) while eggs are cooking, then transfer 2 tortillas to a plate and top with 2 eggs. Keep warm in oven while making more eggs (and frying more tortillas) in same manner, adding oil as needed.
- While eggs are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook tortillas one at a time in oil, turning with tongs when tortilla starts to blister but is still soft, about 10 seconds on each side, (do not let them become brown or crisp). Blot tortillas on paper towels as fried and stack to keep warm.
- Sprinkle eggs with cilantro before serving.