Provided by: Taste Editors
- 1/2 ounce instant yeast
- 11/2 cups warm water (divided)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup melted butter divided
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- egg wash (1/2 cup milk 2 eggs beaten)
- purple green and gold sugars
- In a measuring cup combine yeast and 1/2 cup of water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together all dry ingredients.
- Using a dough hook on an electric mixer blend ingredients 2-3 minutes on low speed. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine eggs 3/4 cup butter and remaining water.
- Slowly pour liquids and blossomed yeast into mixing bowl with flour gradually increasing speed.
- Mix 8 to 10 minutes or until dough separates from bowl. An additional 1/2 cup of flour may be sprinkled into bowl if dough is too wet.
- Brush a large stainless bowl with melted butter until coated then place dough inside.
- Brush dough with remaining butter and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Allow dough to proof in a warm place 1 hour or until double in size.
- In an electric mixer combine sugar and salt. Mix on low speed while slowly pouring in almond extract and water.
- Add cinnamon and continue to blend until glaze is smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After dough has proofed roll out onto a well-floured surface into
- an 18-inch-by-12-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 T cinnamon.
- Brush top of dough with 1/4 cup melted butter then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Cut cake vertically into 3 even sections.
- Pinch together end of each strip.
- Starting from the joined end form into a basic 3-strand braid.
- Shape braid into a circle and pinch together to hold form.
- Brush entire cake with egg wash (1/2 cup milk 2 eggs beaten) and proof in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle glaze over entire cake and sprinkle with purple green and gold sugars. These sugars are available at pastry and cake decorating outlets.