Mexican Chicken and Bean Sandwich
New Media Publishing / Photography: Flat Art Studios.com / Stylist: Abigail Donnelly
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
total prep 492 calories/serving
In Mexico these warm meat-filled sandwiches are slathered with refried beans and thick cream the way we use mayonnaise. Pickled jalapeños and onions give it bite, while cilantro and avocado complete the rich layering of flavors. This torta de pollo would also be great with shredded pork.
- 1 small white or red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 4 small Portuguese rolls, split in half horizontally
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup refried beans
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, quartered, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups shredded iceburg or romaine lettuce
- Stir together onion, vinegar and jalapeños in a small bowl and let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Hollow out rolls slightly, removing some of the crumb with your fingers and discard. Toast rolls until warm.
- Heat shredded chicken in microwave until warm, about 1 minute, and toss with onion mixture.
- Stir together refried beans and sour cream and spread both halves of rolls with mixture. Mound bottom halves with chicken mixture, cilantro, avocado, and shredded lettuce, then cover with top halves. Cut sandwiches in half.